whats best?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
frozen blood worms?
frozen brine shrimp?

my LFS has an offer on both
to feed,L081,L134, neons, otto,platty,amano shrimp.
to feed just after lights out.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Either is good so long as its a quality brand. Hard to tell when frozen but easy to see once defrosted. Brine would be easier for your smaller fish to eat but blood worms would probably go over better with your larger fish.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
feed blood worm sparingly as it has a hard outer case that feed in abundance can cause problems

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Bloodworm will have more nutritional value than standard brine shrimp but you can get omega3 enriched, spirulina enriched and garlic enriched brine shrimp.
not sure what is added to these ones,will look tomorrow as im going back there to get some normal food.

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Not sure what brand you guys buy in the UK or Australia, but I just read on the angelfish forum that some of the frozen bloodworms may cause health problems. Not at all sure if its true and I think it has to do with bacteria. Someone said that Hakari (again not sure if it's US brand only) is better than San Fransisco Bay brand. I give mine bloodworm every now and then, but now I'm worried. Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't feeling.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
Not sure what brand you guys buy in the UK or Australia, but I just read on the angelfish forum that some of the frozen bloodworms may cause health problems. Not at all sure if its true and I think it has to do with bacteria. Someone said that Hakari (again not sure if it's US brand only) is better than San Fransisco Bay brand. I give mine bloodworm every now and then, but now I'm worried. Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't feeling.
I don't believe that the frozen bloodworms are the problem, but more to do with how they have been handled...If they have been defrosted and frozen many times before you purchace and you may find them to be smelly and darker in colour, almost going black... I wouldn't give any fish bloodworm that is not bright red and totally in a frozen state on arrival to me.

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Thanks D-Mac, I feel a better now. Someone wrote on the angelfish forum that if you feed your fish bloodworms, you should feed your fish food laced with Metro 2x per month (to de-hex them). I thought that was a bit excessive, so I asked the person who posted that response if he worried that his fish would build up a resistance to metro, rendering it useless down the road. His response was "how long will they survive if you feed them foods that are infected with problems anyway". Call me crazy, but shouldn't you avoid feeding them infected foods???

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Thanks D-Mac, I feel a better now. Someone wrote on the angelfish forum that if you feed your fish bloodworms, you should feed your fish food laced with Metro 2x per month (to de-hex them). I thought that was a bit excessive, so I asked the person who posted that response if he worried that his fish would build up a resistance to metro, rendering it useless down the road. His response was "how long will they survive if you feed them foods that are infected with problems anyway". Call me crazy, but shouldn't you avoid feeding them infected foods???
Be aware that in certain parts of the world people use the term "bloodworm" to refer to what we in the US call tubifex worms. In has long been known that tubifex can harbor diseases and cause problems. Bloodworms (chironomid larvae) are generally thought to be safe.