what's the difference between Neon Tetra and Cardinal Tetra

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Cardinal Tetra and Neon Tetra

Ok so I have finally given up on ever being able to have mid-dwelling fish for write candy that won't east my pleco fry, though not a surprise as I knew it was a tall order. I am looking to get some tiny fish that move lol that don't and can't east my babies and that is about all the criteria I have.

The safest thought we have are neon Tetra type fish but I was just wondering why cardinal tetra are double the price?

any ideas?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

Most neon tetras are nowadays bred in captivity.
The cardinals on the other hand are very difficult to raise and thus most of them are still wild caught, thus more expensive. Cardinals also can tolerate higher temps. cheers jk :thumbup:

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
On a cardinal the red stripe is full body, whilst on a neon its only half way along its body. The cardinal likes hi temps, upto 30 degrees and can tolerate fast flow. I use cardinals in my zeb tanks as indicator fish. If looked after cardinals can live long and good lives, middle dwellers and will eat almost all flake etc. Keep in groups of 6 or more, makes a nice shoal, pref around 20 fish, they then move as one, makes a n ice display.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hi everyone
thanks so much for the relpy's
went to my lfs and actually looked at them both- i never payed them much attention as i didn't ever intent to have them.
what you have all said played out- the neon's compared looked more dull and the bodies where not as full bodied-the neon's had obviously been intensly farmed.
The only thing that concerned me about getting the cardinals was that bigbird had said that most of them were wild caught and as these are obviosly not in need of some one making sure quality breeding insued I didnt want to get wild one's.

My lfs gets mostly german breed fish/ pleco's in and dont like to get wild unles they are asked to.

So 4 german breed cardinals did i get from germany! yay!
Only got four even though they are for a four ft tank I wanted to make sure they settled well to the tank temp and water.

They are looking happy although it be very tiny! lol

wow- that was a noval! cheers
cc