Which Hypansitrus should I Breed

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
If I was fairly new to breeding and had successfully breed an easier plec like a common/albino bn and was looking into breeding hypans, what would you guys think would be a good hypan to start with?

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
lol remember once you start Hypans will take over your life :D

Pretty much anything really as most require the same set up and care. It depends what you can obtain at the moment as they are a little thin on the ground.
66,333,260 etc etc

Silverdub has a pair of 316 for sale I think or failing that Jo zebs gets some nice stuff in.

Goodluck and please dont make it look to easy :D

thegeenius

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Hypans if you have adult fish are just add water fish ( and care of course) LOL get on the hypan train you will have 20 tanks full of all sorts of stripey squggley swirly black and white fish in no time at all.
On a serious note easy too breed L66 cant be easier

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well I found L270 easier than L134 which wont breed for me.
part of the problem is getting a male and female (harder to sex than you think) that like each other too. try getting a group from more than one source of you can.
but its mainly down to what you like best and what you can get hold off at a fair price too.

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
L129's are a easy one to breed...but you really have to watch it when you do water changes! The fry will die if you change water to fast (more than any others that I have bred). L333's are also fairly easy to breed and the fry aren't as touchy as L129's. What I came up with so I don't add water to fast is a bucket that I drilled a hole in the side and stuck a air line in it......simple and it works great!

Not sure on the L270's...I don't have any yet! :wb: But L134's didn't seem to hard to breed....but I have to agree that not all plecs will breed even if you have a male and female together...I had a pair of Peckoltia zwerg that wouldn't breed...I ended up putting the female in with another male and she likes him a lot better! :)

lealea

Apr 25, 2009
Brisbane Australia
I found L270 easier then my L333, L260. And I also found their fry stronger at raisind themselves. But in terms of looks I love the L260 they have some amazing colouration. lealea

bikerman6660

May 3, 2009
N/East UK
I would seriously think about getting a group of juveniles and grow them on thats what I am doing. I think it pays dividends in the long run in that you end up with fish which are used to your water etc and there is more chance of getting breeding pairs from a group of say 10 fish. The downside is the 2 year or so wait!!