Which Invert?

Jun 20, 2011
UK
Hi :hi:

MY TANK: 27 degrees, one 2.5 inch sailfin pleco (L-83 I think) one synodontis catfish 2.5-3 inches. FOOD: sinking pellets, live bloodworms, odd vegetable slice. SUBSTRATE: sand and rocks.

Which invert would be the best for my tank which WONT be threatened by my fish?
I dont really want a snail, bit boring IMO( unless bright colours or interesting)
Is there any SMALL crab species which won't pinch my fish?
I would like something NOT expensive and peaceful but I am open to any ideas.
I would also like something which won't hide all day. If this has to be the case, i am also thinking of getting a blue light :)
If there are any special feeding/tank requirements I can do the best i can to meet them.

I am open to any suggestions :)

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hi, i would suggest a small nano tank just for shrimp or crabs. You will find that especially with a syno, that they are active hunters and will gobble these up. Plus most shrimp and crabs need lower temps. cheers jk :thumbup:

Jun 20, 2011
UK
thanks i have a spare 3.9 gallon tank. I have a spare filter but no heater would a crab be okay without a heater? if so what species?
thanks, BPK

Jun 20, 2011
UK
thanks for the link i like the fiddler crab but they need brackish water.......and i dont think im going down the marine route again.....

Thanks, BPK

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello BPK,

You have so many threads now asking the same questions that it realy gets confusing. I would look at the web. Bamboo shrimp are a little difficult and very hard to breed. The CRS and Reds are better as they breed quite easy under good conditions. Remember do not add shrimp to your tank with the syno or he will get an expensive lunch from you. cheers jk :thumbup:

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello again,

Look at
http://www.planetinverts.com/Bamboo_Shrimp.html
and
http://www.planetinverts.com/Crystal Red Shrimp.html

very interesting. The bambooshrimp is a filter feeder, so needs some current to sit in to get food.

I think either would be good in the small tank. Be wary, they need excellent water, stable temp and good food. As a tip, normally the smallerthe tank, the more you have to watch water temp when doing a water change. IE If your tank is at 26C and your new water at 16C, this might affect the shrimp as they are very sensative. What I used to do is, do you water change. Add the new water with a trickle drip system, so a hose with a loop in it so only a little water come out at a time. This makes the water then easier to stabalise instead of pouring in the colder water in one hit. cheers jk :thumbup:

Jun 20, 2011
UK
Thanks im think im gonna go with bamboo so im gonna make a new thread on 'inverts'
so please comment on the new thread instead of this one
its gonna be called 'bamboo shrimp'

Thanks, BPK