Zebra tank move and now a spawn :)

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
I moved our zebs to their new home last wednesday - They had been living in a 2ft tank at my parents while we moved house - then things got a little side tracked when our 2nd child came a little early!

Anyway - they were moved back into their normal 140L tank but on cut back filtration (just an EX700) due to the rest of my kit still being in boxes in the garage...

Well - they went into the tank with approx 40L of their established water and say 80L new tap water.... temp sat at approx 29ºC and 6 days later we have a spawn!! :woohoo:

I was expecting it to be months before they settled back into the groove!

Better news is that we also have another pair trapped in a different cave - If I get both pairs spawn now I'll be over the moon - watch this space :)!

Last edited:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Congrats:woohoo::woohoo:

3 main ways to breed Hypans

Move to another tank
Forget about them
Decide to sell them

Stick to these methods and you wont go far wrong;)

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Congrates:woohoo::woohoo:

3 main ways to breed Hypans

Move to another tank
Forget about them
Decide to sell them

Stick to these methods and you wont go far wrong;)

Cheers

thegeeman
and make sure you purchase all males :D

congrats Russ nice suprise for you mate

andyj

Apr 25, 2009
Derby
Good news matey :)

See you've got your priorities right.... get the Zeb's sorted first and then worry about looking after Jacob and getting the house sorted ;)

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
excellent news on the spawn russ, will keep everything crossed that the other pair do the job too.
well done

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
just managed to confirm its a double spawn :)

I'll be pulling the males with their caves out later today - I dont want to go on loosing the spawns...

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Still in 2 minds what to do... I've had this situation before and both spawns dissapeared over night....

I'm tempted to remove the cave with dads into their own traps and then leave them to hatch....

I dont like the idea of removing the eggs though as I have never managed it without them getting fungus...

I've not got anyother tanks setup that I could use to add meth blue to either :(

Any opinions?

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
We have wigglers from the alphas spawn and still have eggs from the beta pair :)

I'll set up two of my traps tomorrow and pull the fry from the first spawn and the cave/male/egg combination into the other so that the alpha male dosnt hastle them.

Fingers crossed :)

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Great result :clap: I can imagine you did not expect them to spawn so quickly after being moved around B-)

By the way your older babies are doing very well and getting big :woohoo:

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
its survival of the fittest.. if the dad feels threatened he'll ditch the fry without a 2nd thought... (well 3rd thought anyway)

I've lifted the fry from the alpha spawn - the beta male is very holed up in his cave and its supporting other parts of the tanks decor so I've left them alone at the moment....

I'm glad I did pull the fry though as there were only 3 wigglers left :( - not sure why ??
It looked like a small spawn but I'm sure there were more eggs than that.

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
well - I should have taken the plunge and pulld the eggs and taken the risk of raising them myself... The Beta male was out of his cave about 10 mins ago.... and its empty. :(

not been able to find any wigglers out in the open either :(

I think he's eaten them again - he hasn't got the idea of feeding up before spawning.

next time I'm pulling them - 3 fry from a double spawn is not a number I like :(