zebs

I

intrepidmax

No idea, I have dealt with alot of fishkeepers on ebay but not this person. sorry. looks like a bargain though.

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Look at the pictures from the ad on Aquarist Classifieds for Zebra Plecs, advertised by a discus shop, the picture of the fish in the orange bucket is very simular to the ebay ad; Zebras On Aquarist Classifieds

It's either the discus shop selling the biggest zebras he has seperately, or someone is up to something !!

Right enough, orange buckets are very common these days LOL !

Last edited:

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
wild zebs

Might be a reliable seller, but doesn't anybody else have an issue with the number of traders who are importing illegally trafficked zebs into the U.K. There are at least 3 on Aquarist Classified who regularly advertise imported wild zebs.

I know there will be those who say, they're not illegal because they've come from Columbia or Peru or where-ever, but they must have been smuggled from Brazil to avoid the export restrictions.

At the end of the day you can do what you like, but when there are plenty of breeders supplying fish legitimately why support the illegal trade?

I decided not to support another forum because they held adverts for illegally imported (somewhere down the line at least) zebs and would encourage others to not support those who are openly flauting the restrictions. I'm not too concerned about ethics around rules, but am concerned about illegal trade in endangered species.

Cheers,
Mark.

pleco-island

Apr 25, 2009
sevenoaks Kent
hi

does that mean when i start to advertise the wild zebs for sale on here you will leave ???
i understand why you say what you do but everyone keeps going on about zebs well what about about every other plec on the banned list, things like L333, L260, L66 people seem to forget about these and the reason why i think is that zebs are lots of money and the others are not.

i bet if i advertised wild zebs for £50 there would no issue and a massive que for them, all i am doing is supply and demand same as any business out there and also to point out, how they get to columbia is not my business all i know is i import them the right way and its not illegle..

plus if you dont want them dont buy them, just like tv if theres something on you dont want to watch turn it over.....

sorry to hijack the thread but just putting my 2pence in

Last edited:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I dont agree with it no. :(.

I do think to myself sometimes about the other plecs/fish i have too, albeit not endangered am i right in keeping them for my own pleasure. Its no different really to seeing a lion or other large animal caged up in a zoo, but then if you give them the best they can have in captivity is it such a bad thing? I know some will probably say about the dams blah blah and that the zebs will be extinct anyway but at the moment they are not and whos to say that they will be? animals evolve to their environments and there is always an option to relocate to safer havens with the help of man, but it could also be the case that we destroy them before we give them a chance.

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
pleco-island,
I hope that PP will not support the advertisement of illegally exported/smuggled zebras, preventing me needing to go elsewhere, again.

For example, Zebrapleco have a clear policy on not supporting the advertisement of zebs which have obviously been exported illegally, I don't see why this site cannot at least maintain a moral stand against illegal trade, and help to reduce the demand.

The whole banned list debate is not as clear as the decision made for zebras 5 years ago. We know the score with zebs lets respect it.

Mark.

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
I'm not going to 'stop making a point about the zebras'. This thread is about the importation of illegally smuggled zebras. The importation of these supposedly endangered fish can't be justified just because there is still an illegal trade in related species.

I support any government export restrictions on other Brazillian species and more importantly support the promotion of captive bred species through PlecoPlanet. The importation of illegally smuggled wild caught fish merely undermines the efforts of conservationally minded breeders attempting to save the fish in the hobby.

Your not going to stop your activities because of my views, but I hope that this website is morally aware enough to deter the promotion of smuggled zebras in its classifieds.

Mark.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I keep them for pleasure but also I try to breed them, that way I feel I am helping to support the species (all species). Home breeding of rare species helps us learn more about the needs of these fish too.

pleco-island

Apr 25, 2009
sevenoaks Kent
TBH i think i would prefer to buy a wild one than one that hes had hormone injections and overbreed to the point they just die after a year or 2, and also where the young are feed hormone induced food to make them grow to 2" in 4-6 months.

so really everyone has there points, i am all for people breeding them in the country and selling them on but i am sure most would be happy to by a wild fish to keep the breed line as true as possible, hence to keep this edangered species around for many years to come..
oh and this thread was started for an ad on ebay.
and i am sure at one point this thread will be closed.....

dont get me wrong mark, i understand where your coming from but we all do things and buy things that should be banned (cloths made by 6 yr olds in sweat shops)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Personally I agree that this forum shouldn't support the 'illegal smuggling' of any plecos, not just zebs BUT I am not the only owner of this site, so it will be discussed and decided.

I will say one thing though, morals aside, i would be more inclined to give the backing to the members on here that participate and get involved in the forum and not just the classifieds.

Anyway keep this thread civil, as said in the rules Be courteous. Respect others. Argue with the post, not the poster.

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Personally I agree that this forum shouldn't support the 'illegal smuggling' of any plecos, not just zebs BUT I am not the only owner of this site, so it will be discussed and decided.

I will say one thing though, morals aside, i would be more inclined to give the backing to the members on here that participate and get involved in the forum and not just the classifieds.

Anyway keep this thread civil, as said in the rules Be courteous. Respect others. Argue with the post, not the poster.
:goodpost: