zebs

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
TBH i think i would prefer to buy a wild one than one that hes had hormone injections and overbreed to the point they just die after a year or 2, and also where the young are feed hormone induced food to make them grow to 2" in 4-6 months.
Any reputable breeder would not do this and I am more than confident that any breeders on this forum are reputable to say the least. What you are saying is a poor excuse for justifying selling any species that have been banned due to dwindling numbers. There's noting stopping these unscrupulous breeders from buying 'wild' zebs and continuing a bad practice with them imo.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
This is an arguement that could go around and around in circles.
The thing is, every species that has been bred in captivity, or has yet to be bred, had to start from wild caught individuals, ideally, several different colonies of wild caught individuals in order to keep the bloodlines clean, any fish breeder that says that fish should not be taken from the wild, is to some part being hypocritical.
In an ideal world, we would all now only buy tank bred fish, and its great to see so many people on forums like this, that are having great sucess with such breeding projects.
but in order to keep the species pure and be able to meet demand, there would be a need for the breeders between them, to have a huge stock of wild caught fish.
At the end of the day, with so the huge number of L numbers now banned from export, we would need to decide if we really want to keep our fish or not, i am a hypocrite, and i know it, i love my plecs and i want more still, although i do know that wherever i buy them from, adds to the demand, and therefore someone out there will be smuggling more plecs out of brazil in order to meet this demand.
And as much as i would say that it is certainly wrong to back these smugglers, i do think that there are far more implications and considerations to bare in mind before i could say that this site will not allow adverts for wild caught fish.
It is a topic that we are currently discussing, but it is not something that i can see us making a decision on overnight.

In the mean time, please feel free to carry on with the discussion here, but remember the site rules, any personal attacks on people over their opinions will not be tolerated, argue with the post, not the poster, and keep it civil!
this is a topic that could be hugely interesting, but if not handled right, could easily end up getting out of hand and need closing, so please consider carefully your posts.

I

intrepidmax

Well, I like wild fish and I like captive bred. to be honest I will pretty much buy almost anything I like. and although zebs command a high price...I think that the right price should be paid. and if you have something super rare then chances are I would like to own it. I dont really know anyone who doesn't want what they can't have.

and to be honest this whole thread could go on for years. its a debate that could be on-going.

to be honest I totally 100% trust chens discus. and they are easily one of the best discus suppliers in the country. I have used them a few times and the service is second to none. so if I was to buy wild caught zebs from them, then I would be rest assured that I was buying the best.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Well, I like wild fish and I like captive bred. to be honest I will pretty much buy almost anything I like. and although zebs command a high price...I think that the right price should be paid. and if you have something super rare then chances are I would like to own it.
Do you think Zebs are rare? I certainly dont. Everywhere I go I see zebs.

What chaps my ar5e about the whole wild caught thing is the fact that most peope own wild caught fish but now theres a "banned list" its a no no to buy them. I am 100% sure that if I find wild caught fish in LFS,s and they are what I am looking for then I will buy them. I know of L333,260 in my local lfs but knowone is screaming foul play or is it just the precious little zeb that people are choosing to apply the ban to?
In 5 years time when they have built all the Dams people will then be saying we should have done more to save them. Differnet strokes for different folks:D

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:
I

intrepidmax

I totally agree Gee. I think it is just the precious zeb the ban applies to.

I dont think zebs are so rare at-all. jesh you can get then nowadays for £35-40 a piece (fry of course) but non the less.

I would love to keep and breed zebs. and one day Im sure I will.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Soooo we know who the seller is, as per original post, any thoughts on the sex of them?

bikerman6660

May 3, 2009
N/East UK
wow! thanks for all the replies and a very interesting debate. I think ultimately it's up to each individual to decide where to source their fish according to their own opinion/belief

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
wow! thanks for all the replies and a very interesting debate. I think ultimately it's up to each individual to decide where to source their fish according to their own opinion/belief
:yes: agree with that :goodpost:

as others have stated if i can buy wild caught plecs that have already been imported into the UK then yes i will buy them, if i dont someone else will

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well the zeb seller was also advertising some nice blue phatoms, I was watching, but seem to have suddenly all come off ebay.

I

intrepidmax

Im buying these. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

intrepidmax

the zebs :p all wild and all for me :p pmsl.

its about time I stuck my neck on the line.

I

intrepidmax

I also hope I know what Im doing. to be honest I have never kept zebs. until now it looked like a distant goal and dream.

Im In the process of buying them. Im paying them up and will have them by christmas or before. by that time I will have a tank ready and cycled. Im moving into my new house next week and it has a big room (spare) so it looks like the fish house might be getting put on the back burner and a fish room being deployed lol.

for my fish room I have over 30 tanks ready and waiting and over 20 large containers that will be used for a different project in due course. Im starting to get a little stressed about how im going to manage it all but im being fed some fantastic info.