Zucchini question

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
I usually feed my Plecos Cucumbers...I read where you all suggested Zucchini. Well I got some last night. I put some in and this morning the only thing missing was the skin!:dk: Did I need to blanch them first? I just put them in raw.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
You can just put them in raw. It takes some adjustment for most plecs to take new food, after all its not everyday that you see a zucchini floating down the Amazon or sitting in an aquarium. The fact that even the skin is misisng is a good sign. Some plecs will only eat certain portions of the zucchini depending upon their dietary preference and dentition (teeth). For instance, many Panaques, which are wood eaters and have teeth designed for this, preferantially eat harder veggies (at least mine did) while at the same time, plecs like Ancistrus which have teeth designed to rasp algae off rocks are better suited to eating softer veggies. Just weight the zucchini down & keep offering it, eventually they'll figure it out.

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
I never thought about the "change" in food. I will keep trying it...they eat the Cucumber like it's goin out of style!:) I also have wood in both aquariums, they eat the heck out of that too. I think they were born hungry!:yes:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Once your fish get used to courgette/zucchini there are loads more you could try. Sweet potato is always a favourite amongst my mine (mainly Royal plec/Panaque).

Just keep an eye on it and don't let it stay in the aquarium too long, especially if they're not eating it. It's better to take it and replace with a fresh piece rather than risk the old one getting too mushy and spoiling the water.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi,
same as other said, my blue phantoms (L128's) would only eat the skin of the zucchini when I had them (over 4 years), raw, and I would slice the skin long strips down the zucchini ,lenghtwise--they ate every bit to the clip, but never touched the inside part. They also ate other veggies ,but the zucchini skin was their fav. good luck :)

Georgie

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
ps, after just reading the other thread about zucchini cloud, i should mention , when i fed them , i stripped just the skin off the zucchini, tried to not get any of the inside light green part ,as i knew they would not touch it and it so i never had the cloud problem or seeds either. As they plecs got bigger , I cut the strips longer. HTH

Georgie

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
yup ,ine love it as well. Only tip I can give is, feed at night or lights out and remove in the morining. Use stainless steel to weight down ( fork, nuts bolts, screw etc ) cheers jk :thumbup:

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
Thanks for all the info...when I got home the other day, after I had put that in the night before, they had started eating the rest of it. By that night , they had devoured almost all of it!:clap:

plushberry

Apr 4, 2012
Canada
My pleco does the same thing. He loves the skin and will seriously eat all the way around a 1.5" piece in about 15 minutes - it's crazy! Then he seems to suck on the center of it on and off for the rest of the evening. But he leaves a good portion behind that doesn't seem to interest him.

flame angel

Feb 1, 2012
Sydney
Apparently zucchini has more nutritional value than cucumber. Agree with bigbird, chuck a few pieces in before I go to bed and take them out in the morning - the very inside part seems to be favored with my peps.