Hypancistrus ID?

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
Hi,
I got these from a CSG auction, about two years ago. The breeder suspects they were from L04, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen his adults. They're very nice, gold spotted against dark brown background, the pic doesn't do them justice, but they're difficult to photo.

If you really need better pics I'll have a go!

Cheers,
Mark.

Last edited:

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
Hi Irene,
I was transferring them from a tank to they're own quarters, so they were a bit stressed in a plastic tub. I've taken another pic to give a better idea of the colouration in the tank. It's not the best but provides a better colour guide.

Mark.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
weird, its neither spots or stripes, very interesting.
i'd guess its likely to be a variant of one of the stripey (333 etc) ones or something but i'm really bad with hypans so will leave it up to the hypan perverts

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
Hmm, you raise the possibility of hybrid!

As it happens there is a pic on PC for an unid'd Hypan which looks similar and is said to be hybrid, from Yann (I think). Link: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species=hypancistrus+sp_hybrid&species_id=1317

However, I know the breeder of mine (a well respected breeder from the NW - not a PP member) and know the parents were w/c, similar to L04.

Personally, I don't think they are close enough to any of the L04 candidates I've seen pics of.

Happy Birthday, BTW!

Mark.

Last edited:

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
TGM,
Yes, its MW.

If by bloodworm pellet, you mean earthworm stick (cunning code), then yes I've just got some from the U.S.

Unfortunately I got stung by import tax and the poor £/$, so the 5lb cost me £85. I can do you some at around a tenner for 200g inc P&P. Not trying to make any profit or bypass classifieds and will pay premium subs when I get round to it! Not an advert for widespread sale, and to be honest, if TA Aquaculture are still doing them for £4.50 for 100g, that's close to cost price anyway.

As for the Hypans, debiliterra did cross my mind and the pic you quote looks good. I'd rather not think they're hybrids - at least not c/b hybrids! Lets see if there's any other suggestions, or anyone else with these fish. Anybody keeping L04?

Cheers,
Mark.

Last edited:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Pm sent about the sticks matey, My fish havent been the same since I ran out of them.

The more I look at your pics the more I am certain these are Hyprids. Yanns pics on other sites look idenitcal.

Cheers

thegeeman

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
difficult, some of the debilittera pics on PC look like l270 as well.

i think hybrids are a possibility. can you get pics of parents? are you sure they did not keep any other plecs in the tank?

I

intrepidmax

Ive been having a look through my pics and books and cant find anything close. on first glance I thought 201..until I seen the small stripes. Im now thinking a variation of the L066...but not sure.

so I will keep looking and go with hybrid for the time being.

really nice fish btw.

I

intrepidmax

possible 260 and 262 hybrid?

I still think this would be a long shot as the young would have smaller spots and thinner lines.....maybe one day we should try it and see what we get.

I

intrepidmax

That's It then. windy has it in the bag.

well done.

great looking hypan.

I

intrepidmax

lol. yeah I just noticed pmsfl.......I should have gone to specsavers.

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
I've asked Yann for the origin of his hybrid pics (i.e. the parentage). It is possible, without knowing, that Yann's photos are of an imported species believed to be a natural hybrid, but which could turn out to be a true species.

Personally, I'd be a bit surpised if the breeder in Morecambe managed to cross the identical two species as Yann to get the same result, whilst thinking he was dealing with one true species, but stranger things have happened.

Another theory is that my specimens are still exhibiting juvenille colouration (even after 30 months) and could further change into something more recognisable. They started off with reticulations, which have developed into defined spots, with fewer reticulations.

All very interesting and as you can see, just because they look like the pics on PF and Scotcat, I'm not convinced they are hybrids.....yet.

Cheers,
Mark.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Thats Cool Mark.

I am only going by Yanns pics and the fact I havent seen any simillar Hypans before.
Either way they are really nice looking fish I would be happy to breed them for you:D:D

Cheers

thegeeman