Hi help..

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Would like your opinions on these.. didnt want to disturb but i took a few pics to show a bit... I have bought all of these as L066 .... DAMN SCRIBBLES

[ame="http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/JoePlec/"]Pictures by JoePlec - Photobucket[/ame]

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow damn scribbles indeed :wb: .
All I can say is that you have some stunning markings, especially the one with dots where the tail hangs out <3 .
I think you will have to look at the tails. In all honesty I think you have some sort of mix. But that is just from the photos you provided. they look like sub adults in size. sorry cheers jk :thumbup:

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
wow damn scribbles indeed :wb: .
All I can say is that you have some stunning markings, especially the one with dots where the tail hangs out <3 .
I think you will have to look at the tails. In all honesty I think you have some sort of mix. But that is just from the photos you provided. they look like sub adults in size. sorry cheers jk :thumbup:
All over 2years, all bought at 1 inch all around 3-4inch now

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Joe
these fish prove the "Xingu hypans are all a mess as far as ID goes" saying
As your aware to ID any of the unclassified Hypans is a night mare and to be honest I cant say that L066 is a different Species to say l400 and so on the "it is the white variant or silver variant " is about as near as we can get, sadly once the dam is working we will never know what is what .

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Joe
these fish prove the "Xingu hypans are all a mess as far as ID goes" saying
As your aware to ID any of the unclassified Hypans is a night mare and to be honest I cant say that L066 is a different Species to say l400 and so on the "it is the white variant or silver variant " is about as near as we can get, sadly once the dam is working we will never know what is what .
its all very well and good but these fish are starting to breed. Now the first time they did it was definately a male and female that i am convinced are L066 but what if they breed again am i going to be hybridising? Nightmare ... although i had bought 6 of the 8 from different places they all originated from a well respected shop and were bought as L066... Such a shame to think that these fish might have been mixed up with others along the line. And proves that although the sign says one thing what you get 2 years down the line is something you can not be sure of wanting to keep never mind breed!

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
the issues with hybrids are in my opinion up to the individual.
If your worried to the point were for what ever reason your not willing to breed any L Number that is not firmly identified and that narrows it down to about ten fish with regards to hypans, then your going to be rather restricted as regards fish to breed.
Myself I have given up totally as regards L numbers with Hypans and no longer sell Xingu Hypans I have spawned as a L number but by location and as a variant

Last edited:

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
the issues with hybrids are in my opinion up to the individual.
If your worried to the point were for what ever reason your not willing to breed any L Number that is not firmly identified and that narrows it down to about ten fish with regards to hypans, then your going to be rather restricted as regards fish to breed.
Myself I have given up totally as regards L numbers with Hypans and no longer sell Xingu Hypans I have spawned as a L number but by location and as a variant
I understand that Bob. My problem is these fish were bought as juviniles inch to inch and a half, not wild so the people who sold these fish should know exactly what they are! How would it be possible to mix them up and sell someone something they didnt ask for! It wouldnt matter if you just had a little community set up with 1 or 2 in but when you bother to pick 8 up from 3 diff sources (fair enough all traced back to the same shop) for a future breeding project. Then feed them all up for 2 years and then come to think HANG ON they are not what i wanted. OR what i bought! Makes me feel slightly hard done by.. To the point where it makes me feel why bother having L066 on the tank if your not going to sell L066

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
"the people who sold these fish should know exactly what they are!"

Why have you got a clue what they are?
Has any one?
let us be honest if they are tank breed and you did not see the adults then your like stumped

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
"the people who sold these fish should know exactly what they are!"

Why have you got a clue what they are?
Has any one?
let us be honest if they are tank breed and you did not see the adults then your like stumped
Bob we are talkin about a respectable shop here. Not a keeper looking to ake a quick buck with a tank full of young and no adults.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i think this just shows all of us.....remember buyer beware. I must say with the L066 and L333 it is difficult. I always like to see the parents or go to the breeder and see their set up. It is hard, because we all rely on the fish and what anybody states they are when they are for sale. I am a firm believer that anybody who sells fish in this forum, should show photos of the fish and also of their parents. cheers jk :thumbup:

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
This is a well known plec place over here. Now i have no doubt that the owner either bred these himself or bought them as fry and grew them on. Either way every single one of them fish were in a tank labelled L066... so my question is ... could fish really be that different looking and still be part of the same batch or still all be L066

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I have a batch at the moment and although they are young some do look different to others, all with the same parents.