2 TIER RACK IN PROGRESS

BENNO

Dec 5, 2010
Central coast, nsw
hey guys i am just about to start my rack was just looking for some ideas and some pointers of what to use....

ok so i am going to sump this rack i will have 2 4ft tanks on top level and
2 on the bottom i am going to put a sump under rack what size sump will
i need for the bio of this rack. and pipe sizes for flow and return i will have the top 2 tanks flowing into bottom 2 then from bottom 2 into sump...
then the sump will feed back into top 2 tanks...
very simple but i need to know pipe size and flow rates for a good turn over
and a good return pump what size its about 2m head to top of the top of the top 2 tanks any ideas are welcome....
i will be adding 19mm ply to the chip board that is on racking to add strength
to shelfs and will be sealing the ply and chip board so no water damage
can occur...
thank you in advance for any help or tips...
=]:D

Last edited:

meloizias

Mar 23, 2011
Cobham
Hehe this always the best part of fish keeping when you build your first rack!

ok *cracks nuckles in preperation for long essay typing*

I am guessing the you have done it at 4ft by 15" by 15" roughly so i will work on that. So lets say they are roughly 200L each tank and you have 4 of them so that is going to be a 800L system i would say another 100L sump would be fine for that but if oyu can fit it a 200L one would be good as it also increase your overall rack system volume to 1000L, you will be a flow rate of about 2000L/H which should be more than enough.

I would say have your inlet pipes all connected up using rigid 25diameter tubing which should allow for a great enough flow of water will still creating enough pressure to force the water all the way up.

If oyu have a look at my Article in DIY section there is a diagram of sump system. you going to want to have your inlet chamber with different grades of filtration mats, then next chamber you want to have your bio mass, so either lava rock or the plastic bio media which provides large surface area for bacteria and in the next one some carbon padding then in next chamber you but your heaters and the outlet pump which will feed back to your tanks.

BENNO

Dec 5, 2010
Central coast, nsw
Ok sounds good to me and yeh they standard 4fts..... Does my outlet pipes need to be larger then my inlet pipes? So 25mm PVC piping will be plenty big I will do another 4ft as a sump

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
very nice, you can use the window outside for your used water when you syphen it out. keep up the photos. My only suggestion would be leave room also in the back for some access if needed. cheers jk :thumbup:

BENNO

Dec 5, 2010
Central coast, nsw
i will keep the photos coming =]
and i have at least half of foot due to the edges of window step out you can
see in pic no.1... i will be drilling top 2 tanks which are brand new in easter brake
transfering fish after i sett plumbing to it then drill my 2 pre existing tanks
conecting it all up then start on sump build so should be a few weeks and this
baby will be running... the rack is 850 deep so i can put 8x2x2 on this rack but
not wanting to at the moment i will end up getting custome square tanks so 4
2x2x2 tanks on top and having 2 4x2x2 on bottom but wont be untill i get the
funds =P all up so far has cost me $250 for 2 standard 4fts brand new
and 400 for the rack probly another 50-150 for plumbing...
what type of bulk heads do i use slip-slip, screw-slip,???

meloizias

Mar 23, 2011
Cobham
Deffinately use screw-slips. And different size tubing isnt problem, doesnt make any difference, just for aesthetic purposes.

BENNO

Dec 5, 2010
Central coast, nsw
so 25mm pipes are fine but is it a 40mm hole i must drill to fit the screw slip inlet and inlets but will use 20mm outlets to pump water back in? do i drill a 40mm hole for them to ????

meloizias

Mar 23, 2011
Cobham
uhm use a 20mm inlet and a 30mm outlet. proberly easiest thing. And size you need to drill depends on the pieces you use, but wherever you get it from should be able help, but always start with small hole and then increase if you need to.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
wow benno - i cant help you but am following the thread, am excited for you! lol good luck with the project! cole

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Don't have a rack yet! I am putting together several different systems- am hoping if I cram enough racks into the house the wife will let me have a fish shed!lol my first will be a easy (so I am told).three in a row job. Respect cole

Breamlegend

Apr 22, 2009
Central Coast NSW Australia
You can make the rack narrower by cutting the braces on the sides. It very easy to do with an angle grinder and a thin cutting disc. I have done 4 so far. Then you wont need to worry about thicker wood as the edge of the tanks will sit on the beams. If you use chipboard you will need to seal it. Marine or form ply is better.
One big sump will be cheaper to run. You can have the outlet/ inlet the same size. Mine are all 25mm/ 1 inch clear pipe. You can buy all the fittings from bunnings or an irrigation shop.
Come around and look at mine.