blue phantoms trappin again

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow that is some activity indeed, well done and good luck. Just dunno if I would do it if somebody shines the light on me :lol:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
they were trapping for about 3 days... but at the moment they are out and about foraging for food....

we got some wet weather on the way so i'll wiz through some more water changes again and see what happens...

they have played funny buggers a few times before as well....

i have another trio of blues and im thinking about putting them alltogether...
might stir up a bit more action.... but it may also stop this pair... so maybe let them go for it for a while yet...

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
such wonderful fish. really hope they do it for you.
are they in a big tank? is it just the pair or do you have a colony?

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
the pair are in a smallish tank.... and the other trio (slightly smaller in size) are sharing a tank with a green phantom and some lda33's....

the pair were trapping again this arvo... fingers crossed! :whistle:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i stick to 14 hours light and 10 hours darkness as they would receive in the wild.... approx give or take a bit... everything else breeds on this so i dont see a need to change it...

i walked past today just as the male backed out of his cave and the female came out soon after... a little ragged with a some split finage and minor chews along the rear flanks.... and no eggs :cry:...

tonight they are still playing at the cave entrance and i'd expect them to back in the cave again soon..... :)

fingers crossed....

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
some people turn lights off more when fish are breeding. I sometimes turn them of for a few hours in the afternoon. its supposed to feel like heavy cloud cover in the rainy season, like giving them cool water changes etc, its just another possible trigger for some fish. dont know about phantoms as never bred them, but not many people have, so really hoping you have success.