Davidefc's Fish House

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
I have recently been building a fish house, I have posted on other forums but decided to post on here.

Here it goes!

It is a 10ft by 8ft Tounge and Grove shed. Insulation will be 2" polystrenye, will be space heated and tanks will be run on a big air pump, driving many sponge filters.

Day 1:
After smashing down the old shed, I had the pleasure of cleaning it all up, upto now has been around 30 fill bin bags of rubbish!
Heres a pic of the old shed in pieces:

Next stop was to cut all the trees down as the shed will be taller and the trees from next door are that over grown it has pushed through the fence and broke it. Picture of the branches and wood from the old shed/fence:

After sweeping up I had to move a load of concrete slaps and bricks, I found these butterflies resting in the dark: Heres a pic, while cleaning I found 2 empty mice nests!

The shed arrived today, in pieces, so I can insulate the base before its down:

Heres the rest of the shed:

I will be insulating the base then I will be getting the shed builders to set it up, then I will be insulating the inside and treating it all. Only thing wrong is the insulation didnt arrive today! I was supposed to "Angry" So the build is probably delayed by 1week as I start college again monday!

Here is the space the new shed will be resting. I managed to temporally fix the fence with the old shed door:

Heres Bella whos loving all the excitment of the new build and loves being nosey and playing in the pile of banches:

Tomorrows plan starts with an early start, 8am to pick up the van, then down to Ross' in stafford to pick up some tanks, racking, wood treatment, foil, bitumen etc and fish! "Tongue" Then we have to race back in time to get to Goodison park to watch the mighty blues beat Man united, then back home and load all the branches, old shed and 30 bin bags of rubbish to take off to the tip!

Will update as I got on with the build.

Regards
Dave

managed to do 99% of the insulation on the base yesterday, I left college 3hours early to get a jump start on the job, but then had to send some fish off, but had no bags so had to go to maidenhead and get some! Finally started to insulate the base, was easy to cut, I siliconed the sheets down, It was annoying as the beams arnt straight to I had to cut in smaller strips, for example 1 end of the beam was 21.5cm wide and at the opposite side it was 25.5cm, this made the job longer. I had finally done everything, was about to silicone the last 2 small pieces down then the heavens opened! "Angry"

Early this morning I finished the job, took 2mins max! I then filled any holes with silicone:

Then the shed makers came, took them around 20-30mins to erect.
Lady excited about the shed being put up:

Heres the shed erected:

Inside of the shed, my Dad has been stressing me out saying the racks wont fit, well I had a smile on my face, they fitted perfect to the mm!

I am thinking on starting insulating the roof now, got some water changes to do first!

Will update as it progresses, I am soon ordering another 10-20 sponge filters, all I need for them is a powerful air pump? any ideas fish house owners?

Regards
Dave

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
I have now insulated half the roof, I ran out of foiled poly so had to stop but guess what I will be doing tonight? foiling more sheets "Cool" If I get some done quick I may insulate the rest of the roof throughout the night, as this is probably the only day I will get to work on it this weekend, going on a night out tomorrow in Manchester so will be too dead to do anything. Anyway, heres half the roof done:

Regards
Dave

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
I have now finished the insulation on the shed today, here is what It looked like this morning:

Now after 9pm, this is what it looks like:

Regards
Dave

PS I have copied this across from another forum, so may not make sense in some parts like the dates etc.

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Today was my day off so I have done quite a bit on the fish house.

I had to dig out space for another row of paving slabs so the shed door can open and its easy access inside(needed when carrying in 6ft tanks!) So I had to dig out a couple trees as well, here is what It looked like first:

And this is what it looks like now:

I had help digging though!

(I will be cementing these in later)

Here is what I have picked up:
Sponges( already have 15)

Some of the tanks, there is 4x 27"by18"by12"H(have 2 set up already inside) and my new 72"by24"by18"H:

Heater:

In 5 Minutes I am going to be foiling another couple sheets for the roof which will be finished tonight.

I have had an electrician out (friend of the family) had had a quote, a good quote, I was told by a friend to rip his hand off! The electrician is coming to drop off the wire Thursday and I will be doing the tacking to the walls, once I have finished he will come round and wire everything up! Hopefully done before next week! (I am doing the tacking myself so he doesn't have to charge me for it)

Regards
Dave

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
I have now finished the roof, the extra 2" was tedious work! I managed to do it though:

Also my pump and wire arrived, I have gone for a Blagdon 65 and 4mm armored cable, you can also see the board where the plugs are getting drilled in.

I am going to start tacking the cable down, then the electrician will come and connect it up.

PS, by 'knock off' I don't mean stollen, I mean cheap goods because their is slight damage to the item but still usable, for example the foil, each roll had a 6" circle missing, but that doesn't matter when I have 4x100m rolls.

Regards
Dave

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Thats right, the fish house now has running electric through it! I wired up most of the sockets in the shed while the electrician did the RCD, fuse box etc. He has fitted me a box outside so I have more space inside, he said it was safe outside anyway.
Heres the RCD switch being turned on, there are 4 isolation points should I ever need to isolate the fish house:

The sockets wired by me, I did a good job if I dont say so myself! "Tongue" the electrician said it was good and I passed the test (note the 3 lights)

I have 10 double sockets, giving me 20 sockets in total, plenty, but better more than less!

Here is the solar pannel for the door light, quite good for what I need it for and it is good as its something off the electricity bill! (inbetween the 2 beams)

Tomorrow the lino will be arriving and hopefully 200ft of air line and acouple other things. I will have the lino and underlay down by monday night and hopefully the rack in place, then tuesday is the big day of moving some tanks in! Cant wait, I have cleaned 5 tanks and covered the 6ft'ers drill hole.

Regards
Dave

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
The tanks are in!!!! I now have 5 tanks up in the fish house, I am going to fill acouple of the smaller tanks and turn the heater on, to find the right temp before adding fish.

Also as you can see the floor has been finished, I have 3mm underlay which will act as a vapour barrier and a bit of insulation, then a lino over to keep it water tight and easy for keeping it dry and clean.

Heres some pics:
Tanks so far in are 1x 72"by24"by18"H, 4x27"by18"by12"H, On the bottom tier I will have 2x 48x24x24" tanks.

Tonight I will have the air ring up and hopefully have covered all the wood parts over with underlay.

Regards
Dave

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
The fish house is now up and running, with 6 tanks in, 5 full of fish! I have picked up the other rack, but too tall so I am going to saw acouple of inches off to get it to fit. I hope to do it on the weekend and have the other rack in.

I also this week have picked up 9x 24"by15by15" these will be my grow on tanks and small breeders etc, I have to cover all the pipe work up, once I have done that and the other rack I can put them in.

I am moving tanks across from my house to the Fish house when I can, I hope to have one of the 4by2by2ft in by the weekend.

Heres 2 pictures:

I am also picking up a few more 24"by15by15 and a 3ft by2ft wide by 15 H.

I will try to update often but I am busy so,,,,,!

Regards
Dave

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
That was amazing to read and watch evolve, Truly as fantastic read and job, well done...
It's an impressive build...Congrats..
Thanks a lot, I am happy with it, just need to finish things up and get more tanks in!

looking amazing i will hopefully be doing something very simialr in the new year :thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks Graham, good luck with your future build, my only advise is to ask Fish house owners, learn from their mistakes so you dont make the same! Also add 1" onto everything! I was so pissed of when the rack didnt fit!

nice job mate. looks great
Very nice :clap:
Nice :clap:
Thanks Lads!, glad you like it.

very very nice:drool::drool:,i just wish i had the room,cash ect to do wot u have done.:clap::clap::clap:
Thanks mate, I needed a fish house, had 16 odd tanks in the house! so decided to get a shed and that was that!

Regards
Dave

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Alright Dave its Joe from Rainhill.

Im very nearly finished with my fish house revamp. Mines smaller though its a 8x6 shed.

What i wanted to say was, If you havent already got your condensation trays sorted or glass on sliders, I bought sheets of Polycarbonate Twin Wall 10mm from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9272903&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=?&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories<{9372261}&fh_search=polycarbonate+sheet&fh_refview=search&ts=1288632698822&isSearch=false

Its very easy to cut with a jigsaw, its clear so lets light through, Its got great insulation properties so also helps with the bills and keeping tanks at right temperatures. Its very lightweight and it wont smash like glass. Oh and when i priced up glass its cheaper than buying your glass cut to size.

Hope you find this of some help mate.
Any questions you have my number. :thumbup:

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Good to see it taking shape with step by step photos :thumbup:
Alright Dave its Joe from Rainhill.

Im very nearly finished with my fish house revamp. Mines smaller though its a 8x6 shed.

What i wanted to say was, If you havent already got your condensation trays sorted or glass on sliders, I bought sheets of Polycarbonate Twin Wall 10mm from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9272903&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=?&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories<{9372261}&fh_search=polycarbonate+sheet&fh_refview=search&ts=1288632698822&isSearch=false

Its very easy to cut with a jigsaw, its clear so lets light through, Its got great insulation properties so also helps with the bills and keeping tanks at right temperatures. Its very lightweight and it wont smash like glass. Oh and when i priced up glass its cheaper than buying your glass cut to size.

Hope you find this of some help mate.
Any questions you have my number. :thumbup:
Thanks for the reply, most tanks have glass sliders but some I have made from thin corigated plastic from B&Q, was only around £5 and its sheets of 6ft by 30" or something.

Dont have you number! broke my phone again!

Hi, wow very impressive and nice report. Well done cheers jk :clap:
Thanks JK! appreciate the comment.

Looking fantastic Dave :thumbup:
Cheers mate :thumbup:

Regards
Dave