Davidefc's Fish House

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Looking Great:clap: My fish house is a converted old wash house, having the water supply in there is a god send. Each tank is individually heated, does anyone think it may be cheaper to run an oil filled space heater, bearing in mind space is a bit limited?

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Looking Great:clap: My fish house is a converted old wash house, having the water supply in there is a god send. Each tank is individually heated, does anyone think it may be cheaper to run an oil filled space heater, bearing in mind space is a bit limited?
I have a 8x6 shed Gem and im going individual heaters only for the fact that you dont save a lot of money, you also need a fan to circulate the hot air and tanks will be at diff temps some too hot and some too cold. If i remember right your space is a bit more limited than mine and i wouldnt have room for one if i wanted one.

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
I have finally taken pics of the fish house! it has been a while, I know have 20 tanks in and still more to come.
Tanks I have: Length x width x height
1x 6ft by 2ft by 18"
2x 4ft by 2ft by 2ft
1x3ft by 2ft by 15"
6x 27" by 18" by 12"
9x 2ft by 15" by 15"
1x 24" by 12" by 12"

I am adding a 40" by 24" by 20" and 2x 30"by24" by 18" tanks soon, the rest I havent found yet. The 3 tanks just need to be cleaned.

Today I recieved my L.E.D lighting, I plan to use this on all 6 tiers, I have bought 1 tier as a tester and up to now I am very impressed, lots of light from a small curcit.

Hes the pics:
Rack 1:

Rack 2:

Regards
Dave

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Looking great David, Gona convert a garage into a fishroom myself soon always good to see other peoples
Thanks Rob, its still unfinished, I dont think I ever will, always something I could do or move etc. I will hopefully have some more tanks in by the weekend and substrate!

Thanks Hypan, and Bigbird I keep mainly central american cichlids, alot of them, I can produce the list if you like, Also no hybrids and flowerhorn crap in my fish house, I am a purist, the only hybrid which will be coming in will be ending up in my Trachycorystes trachycorystes tank:whistle:. L number wise I have L260, L144, L002, L204, L129 and L418.

Yes Zebra, I got them from a friend who bought them from a pallet racking company, if you google pallet racking loads come up of 2nd hand racks, perfect if local, shipping kills it as it is very expensive.

Thanks Shenz and Ricky!

Will try and update more often!

Regards
Dave

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Amazing

Amazing log of your journey so far. Im going to start begging the.other half for a fish house now-.maybe in ten years i'll get it! Can I be nosey and ask how much roughly you have spent out so far?
Anyway- fantastic job and hope you keep updating here

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Amazing log of your journey so far. Im going to start begging the.other half for a fish house now-.maybe in ten years i'll get it! Can I be nosey and ask how much roughly you have spent out so far?
Anyway- fantastic job and hope you keep updating here
Hi, I was basically told to make a fish house, I have 10 plus tanks in the house and my parents wasnt too happy, neither was I! So one day after acouple months woundering wether I should do it ,I just rang a shed company and paid for it, couldnt put it off too long.

Over all cost is probably around 2k, maybe a little more as recently I have got polycarbonate sheets to use as cover sheets and kitted out the whole fish house with L.E.Ds, costing around £300-400. It has been worth it, the electric bill has dropped from £250 a month to £190, it will continue to fall aswell as I am not running 8 odd t8 lighting units etc. So overall it saves us £720 a year on electricity with the winter gone aswell, the summer i expect lower electricty bills.

Regards
Dave

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Hi, I was basically told to make a fish house, I have 10 plus tanks in the house and my parents wasnt too happy, neither was I! So one day after acouple months woundering wether I should do it ,I just rang a shed company and paid for it, couldnt put it off too long.

Over all cost is probably around 2k, maybe a little more as recently I have got polycarbonate sheets to use as cover sheets and kitted out the whole fish house with L.E.Ds, costing around £300-400. It has been worth it, the electric bill has dropped from £250 a month to £190, it will continue to fall aswell as I am not running 8 odd t8 lighting units etc. So overall it saves us £720 a year on electricity with the winter gone aswell, the summer i expect lower electricty bills.

Regards
Dave
Take it the polycarbonate twin wall stuff worked ok dave? My 10mm is great and doesnt half keep the heat in saving a lot more lecky lol. Work is long hours now though and the fish are becoming last on the list :(.

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Take it the polycarbonate twin wall stuff worked ok dave? My 10mm is great and doesnt half keep the heat in saving a lot more lecky lol. Work is long hours now though and the fish are becoming last on the list :(.
Alright Joe,

Yes I went with the 4mm stuff, good stuff, not seen if they make a difference though, was only 40-60 quid and I needed covers anyway.
Shame mate but I may have to shut the Fish house down in the future, depending what uni I go to!

Dave

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Alright Joe,

Yes I went with the 4mm stuff, good stuff, not seen if they make a difference though, was only 40-60 quid and I needed covers anyway.
Shame mate but I may have to shut the Fish house down in the future, depending what uni I go to!

Dave
Bad mate. Life is taking over fish :cry:

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Bad mate. Life is taking over fish :cry:
I know, all the hard work of setting up the fish house to 1 year later, maybe breaking it down!!!!! I may just close all the small tanks and get big 6-8ft tanks and lightly stock them, I will be home once a month and my Dad can feed and water change, just dont think he'd like doing 20+ tanks:lol:

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
I know, all the hard work of setting up the fish house to 1 year later, maybe breaking it down!!!!! I may just close all the small tanks and get big 6-8ft tanks and lightly stock them, I will be home once a month and my Dad can feed and water change, just dont think he'd like doing 20+ tanks:lol:
haha be ok if i lived with my parents my dad would do it too. But she wont even feed the fish she hates fish lol