java ferns

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
ok,still have some staghorn :cry:
found some new bits growing,just as my bottle of co2 is nearly out and putin less co2 in the tank.
So ive got a new co2 kit on the way.a timed set up so its not on at night.
i also have my spare co2 full cilinder,95 gr,for sale.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
fitted my new co2 set from D & D:

didn,t use there bubble counter,used the one that that i had with the expert set that was already in the tank.
its a timed set up so i won,t waste any co2 at night.got it running at 1 bubble per 3 secs.

need a bit of help guys.
got this co2 set up (above) on a timer,off at night on with lights on.
the problem is when it turns off the diffuser slowly fills with water then it takes ages for the co2 to come out when it turns on and
the c02 outlet has a bult in non-return valve.
is there any way i can sort this?
i can,t be the only one who has this problem.

Last edited:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi zebra pleco,co2 set up was £125 from ebay and timer from tesco £2.99.
seachem should be ok,ive used it in my L134,L081 tank but now i use easycarbo,i,m getting better plant growth with easycarbo.
just follow the directions to the word and u should be ok.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
fitted my new co2 set from D & D:

didn,t use there bubble counter,used the one that that i had with the expert set that was already in the tank.
its a timed set up so i won,t waste any co2 at night.got it running at 1 bubble per 3 secs.

need a bit of help guys.
got this co2 set up (above) on a timer,off at night on with lights on.
the problem is when it turns off the diffuser slowly fills with water then it takes ages for the co2 to come out when it turns on and
the c02 outlet has a bult in non-return valve.
is there any way i can sort this?
i can,t be the only one who has this problem.
cheers for any help

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
java ferns,do they need very long roots?
got a baby one that has around a 8 inch root flowing all round my edge,is it ok to chop it off?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
I'm no expert but chopping roots off doesn't seem like a good idea.
I've just started dosing my jarva ferns with Co2 but the EasyCarbo looks like a good investment.
the root got chopped cos it ended up going up the filter intake.
no co2 in my edge but they do get flourish excel and ferts every day.
and no sign of any staghorn algae in my tanks...:)

Last edited:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
What do you think this is?
algae or brown spots?
if the algae id guess at staghorn or thread hair algae.
i did have both on my ferns,in both tanks.75L and my edge.i have co2 in the 75L but not in my edge.i have a strict routine for my tanks and its paying of cos i have very very little algae now and very good water and good plant growth.

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
The brown spots may well be just the leaf getting old, if it is on the older leaves you should find that "plantlets" are forming along the main leaf vein, and as these get bigger the leaf will get more tatty and spotted, until the mainly brown leaf disintegrates, releasing the new plants.

If the spotting is on all the leaves I'd feed them with a small amount of all in one fertiliser, the one from our sponsor is good: <http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/> The brown bits will remain on the old leaves but new leaves should appear, and once these are grown you can remove the old brown spotted leaves.

If it is new plantlets, I usually remove the whole leaf before it disintegrates, but when the plantlets have a couple of leaves. I then float the old leaf in my "cuttings" tank (also does plant or fish quarantine) until I want to attach the new plants to some wood. Some leaves will inevitably disintegrate in the tank, and you often get new plants grow from them in places you could never have planted them.

cheers Darrel

Pleco Fan

May 6, 2011
England West Yorkshire
Thanks Darrel the old leafs do indeed have plantlets, if I remove these leafs do I just then remove the actual plantlets, and if so will the planlets still grow once I place them in a substrate.
The algae is also a small problem not sure yet exaclty what it is.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
if I remove these leafs do I just then remove the actual plantlets, and if so will the plantlets still grow once I place them in a substrate.
It is best to leave the new plantlets attached to their parent leaf for as long as possible, this is why I usually take them out of the main tank to a smaller tank where I can keep an eye on them. The ferns don't have any proper roots (the furry brown things are "rhizoids") and they are best grown fastened onto wood or rough stone with their roots in the water. I usually staple on (with an ordinary cheap stapler/staples) the old leaf to a bit of wood, with a couple of strands of moss to hide the staple, and usually by the time the old leaf has rotted away the plant has attached itself. As long as you let the glue dry out of water (definitely cured in 30 minutes) you can glue them on with cyanoacrylate "super glue". I've also used cable ties successfully.

If you staple a larger plant you need to staple the roots, not the rhizome, but only because the rhizome nearly always breaks when you staple through it.

cheers Darrel