Moss Balls

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Do you have them in any tanks?

I quite like them, they seems to survive being with plecs and don't really have many care requirements. My plecs like grazing on them too. My common plec was really throwing a moss ball around one day, and I wondered what he was doing, turned out he was just trying to position it so he could graze off the top lol.

I told my daughter when she was younger that the moss ball was alive and if she watched closely enough she would see it blink. She spent ages looking at it:lol::lol:

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
I have a few moss balls, I really like how they look LOL. There are moss balls in my shrimp tanks, a few growout tanks, and there is one in with my Apisto female and her fry - the fry and shrimp graze the moss balls quite often.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
I really like how they look as well, hoping to get some for the large tank as well as the smaller tanks, as yet the nearest lfs hasnt had any that look any good, but i am determined lol : D

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
have had them in the past, Gibby ate most of one
They look awesome in planted tanks with a decent Co2 set up, the moss converts the Co2 to oxygen which gathers in the moss making it float about

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i have them in a couple of tanks, i really like them and luckily most of my plecs leave them alone, as long as they get rolled over regularly, they stay in tact too

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
lol. yes they look alive!

I used to have some. did not grow much and eventually disintegrated. lasted about a year. cories think they are spawning mops!

will get some more when i see them.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I really like how they look as well, hoping to get some for the large tank as well as the smaller tanks, as yet the nearest lfs hasnt had any that look any good, but i am determined lol : D
Got mine from aquaessentials;)

I saw a diy article the other day where this guy made a moss wall background for his tank, looked pretty cool, have to try and remember where i saw it.

I have found like Irene that they do start to disintegrate after around a year but im happy with that, they aren't really too expensive and I think they are beneficial for the types of fish that do like to graze plants etc.

Katey

May 4, 2009
I've never seen those, until this thread prompted me to consult Google. I want to get some for my tank! Very neat :yes:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
well done Lorne, thank you:yes:

Just had more of a look at that site, pretty cool, have bookmarked it now lol.

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hi I had them when I had a planted set up I moved them to the quarantine tank and they are still going strong
Pete

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thats pretty expensive.

update since june

The moss ball in my big tank which houses my common plec and smaller plecs is disintegrating now but the one in the tank with just smallish plecs is doing fine.

YSR50

Apr 29, 2009
Chicago-ish
i want some but where i live there asking about 25 dollars for a moss ball the size of a small golf ball
Yikes, where are you looking? Most places I've seen around here are asking $7-$10 for normal size.

I ned to pick up a couple more, after a few years mine are falling apart.

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
I've had some for quite a while its now in the qurantine tank as I ran out of room its still going even tho this tanks unheated and unlit at the mo:clap: