Not mine just sharing as found it very poisoning.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Nice stocking what a lovely mix of fish from all parts of the planet.

What a lovely setup naturaly for the owners enjoyment not the fish?
Regards Bob

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
It is just wrong. There is nothing you can say about it. If you stuffed 100's parrots and birds of prey or wild cats and monkeys in a cage, there would be an out-cry, but because they are fish it is deemed acceptable, it isn't acceptable.

I like cichlids, I like the Geophagus, Frontosa and MBuna in the video but keeping any of them together? - different water, different continents, different behaviour, different food, not to mention stocking rate, water quality and aggression issues.

That is without even starting on the lower levels. We know hardly anything about the ecology of the larger Loricariid catfish, we don't know how big they grow or how long they live in the wild. Everything about them - slow growth, long life-spans, complex behaviour, low reproductive rate, parental care suggests that they analogous to Parrots, Crocodilians, Tortoises, Elephants, Orchids or Mahogany trees etc. Whether we should be keeping them at all is is not an easy area to justify morally, but even if you can justify it there is a world of difference between this and G's breeding pair of Pseudacanthicus.

To do that to any fish is wrong, but to collect Plecs from the wild and do that to them is just totally, totally unacceptable.

cheers Darrel

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Hi all,
It is just wrong. There is nothing you can say about it. If you stuffed 100's parrots and birds of prey or wild cats and monkeys in a cage, there would be an out-cry, but because they are fish it is deemed acceptable, it isn't acceptable.

I like cichlids, I like the Geophagus, Frontosa and MBuna in the video but keeping any of them together? - different water, different continents, different behaviour, different food, not to mention stocking rate, water quality and aggression issues.

That is without even starting on the lower levels. We know hardly anything about the ecology of the larger Loricariid catfish, we don't know how big they grow or how long they live in the wild. Everything about them - slow growth, long life-spans, complex behaviour, low reproductive rate, parental care suggests that they analogous to Parrots, Crocodilians, Tortoises, Elephants, Orchids or Mahogany trees etc. Whether we should be keeping them at all is is not an easy area to justify morally, but even if you can justify it there is a world of difference between this and G's breeding pair of Pseudacanthicus.

To do that to any fish is wrong, but to collect Plecs from the wild and do that to them is just totally, totally unacceptable.

cheers Darrel
:goodpost:

Thank Satan we have some one who has said what we all feel
Well said young man
Myself i just what to shoot the person that thinks this is right.
Regards Bob

Big-B

Apr 22, 2009
Kansas City Missouri
Beautiful fish but way too damn crowded in there. Too many different fish with different requirements. I'll gladly take most of them off his hands though,:clap:

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Beautiful fish but way too damn crowded in there. Too many different fish with different requirements. I'll gladly take most of them off his hands though,:clap:

I would guess the person who owns this hell hole would not understand why he is worse than the most hated person on the planet

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
totally agree 100% with Darrel. How can one do that to these fish. All from different parts and way to overcrowded. cheers jk

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
that tank is probs suitable for maybe.... 1 of those psuedos :dk:. I totally agree with what dw1305 says about the other animals thing. What im amazed by is how they are all still alive.. ridiculous. it discusts me

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
that tank is probs suitable for maybe.... 1 of those psuedos :dk:. I totally agree with what dw1305 says about the other animals thing. What im amazed by is how they are all still alive.. ridiculous. it discusts me

They are more than likely not alive any more
Under the Animal welfare act April 2007 this is an offence and in the UK a rather heavy fine would be issued. Sadly some twat News paper like the Sun would call it political correctness gone mad.
But as mentioned before had it been a bunny wunny or a doggie woggy we would have some young RSPCA officer crying and blubbering about how cruel it is.
Untile a linecing system for all vertibaties is introduced we will have this sort of thing
I myself would be willing to undergo some form of written test and inspection to continue keeping fish..
But any action must start at the LFS and the advertising point. Banning small tanks and only selling to people who have taken the time to understand the needs of fish is a starting point.
I once had a customer who wished to buy some seahorses for his daughter; she had no tank no understanding of keeping these fish just thought they were sweet. I explained the conditions and needs his reply was “bloody hell that’s a lot of effort just to keep a few stupid fish”
My reply was “As it was a lot of effort to keep Jews alive in the death camps or slaves on the plantations” he missed the point.
I believe that mistreatment of any living thing is wrong.
Unless done to maintain my life. Ie for food and then it must be killed as soon as is possible and not kept under unnatural conditions
Regards Bob

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I dont agree with mixing fish from different continents but i have to say the plecs look to be in bloody good condition.

Last edited:

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
hmm, just looked through the other vids and theres one of 2 plecs having a big scrap :( But the plecs hardly have torn fins, curious.. Its still not right

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Originally Posted by FF MkII View Post
I dont agree with mixing fish from different continents but i have to say the plecs look to be in bloody good condition.

May be he or she has just brought them form some one who cares?

Give it a few weeks and it will be hell

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Originally Posted by FF MkII View Post

May be he or she has just brought them form some one who cares?

Give it a few weeks and it will be hell
not always, a lot of fishkeepers in sg keep/kept massive amounts of plecs in what is considered cramped conditions, and whether i agree with it or not, most of the time, the fish were all in show condition.

Kingtiger

May 4, 2009
Sydney Parramatta
Most caucasian won't understand why these fishes are kept in such condition until themselves lived in a 4 x 6 cell...oops I mean room.

Every inch of space is meansured by gold in east asia and having a fish tank is luxury.

In fact I reckon the fishes live better than the owner in the video....lol

It might not be ethical to keep all these species in a single tank but don't pass judgement or assumption that they won't last because they do and lots of them.

Cheers

Last edited:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I would say that most tanks i have seen from Asia do have a lot of plecs and everyone looks in tip top condition with excellent water quality....Anyway, whose to say that they mind being kept in conditions such as those in the video? Is it cruel to keep bees in a hive?

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
My last comment on this post

It is not right
To show any form of understanding of fish welfare or behaviour would require the person who owns this tank to think again.
As I said this is just a Pot Latch a way of showing off.
“Look at my rare fish”
To strive to meet the natural requirements of any of the fish in this video is going to be hard work.
I am sure we as fish keepers get it wrong and don’t give the fish a totally natural set of conditions.
The point for me is this “owner” is making to attempt to keep the fish in natural conditions he or she just wants to have a display of rare and colourful fish.
That is what so disgusts me.

Any one who has an understanding of the fish in the video will tell you that they are suffering.
What damage is being done physically and psychologically would not bare thinking about.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I've got to agree with macvsog, whatever the conditions of the fish in the video looks like, I think it is a totally unacceptable way to keep them and I don't think you can justify it in any way, shape or form.

When you keep any animal, even one you intend to kill and eat (I come from a farming back-ground), you have a duty of care for it.

Personally I won't buy wild collected fish (and I realise that this is not a black and white issue), and I won't keep anything that hasn't got a reasonable hope of breeding succesfully in my tanks. I don't expect every-one to do this, but I do expect us, on this forum, at least to try and promote a more sustainable approach to fish-keeping.

cheers Darrel