novice

sdleigh

Jan 9, 2011
Barnsley
Thanks people for the info! yeah the plant of the left is already in the bin :( but the grassy looking plants on the right are doing well... so far.

i know very little, infact, nothing about plants. luckiy these were only 1 pound each, its a shame they sell them right out of their tanks as aquatic plants, for unsuspecting non-botanists fancy a few plants for their shrimp. hmmm; going to get out tomorrow and pick up some of the plants you mentioned.

So far i have 0 amoneia, nitrate and nitrite, and temp is 23.4C but had 3 deaths in the first 2 days, but nothing since. they seem to be thriving, swimming round, eating well, they group up on a night the spread out during the day. so i dont know why the first 3 popped it :(

They are hypnotising to watch, in some ways more so than fish! love watching them foreging around for food and kicking their little legs as they dart about the tank!

sdleigh

Jan 9, 2011
Barnsley
Ok, mini update and a question!

First of all, i ripped out the plants that were in and so far have a moss ball and a leafy plant called Cryptocoryne, that they are loving! still want some longish grassy stuff to replace the plants at the back as it looks bare.

I still have 9, no more died after the initial 3. they must have been mishandled or ill or something so all bob on :D

Question, 1 or 2 of my females tend to be sat in the plant continuously, fanning their 'swimming legs' all the time. Is this the thing that pregnant females do to fan their eggs that i have read about? I have had them 6 weeks, so it would be about right i think. or are they just bored?! lol

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Ok, mini update and a question!

First of all, i ripped out the plants that were in and so far have a moss ball and a leafy plant called Cryptocoryne, that they are loving! still want some longish grassy stuff to replace the plants at the back as it looks bare.

I still have 9, no more died after the initial 3. they must have been mishandled or ill or something so all bob on :D

Question, 1 or 2 of my females tend to be sat in the plant continuously, fanning their 'swimming legs' all the time. Is this the thing that pregnant females do to fan their eggs that i have read about? I have had them 6 weeks, so it would be about right i think. or are they just bored?! lol
If they are carrying eggs which will be obvious just looking then they will fan them to stop them from fungusing up. If no eggs then could be releasing pheromones into the water, ready to mate. Cherry shrimp will breed from 3month old onwards and take about that to get to adult size. You will know they are breeding age if they have the coloured saddle on their back. Saddle(triangle on back , unfertilised eggs) or the eggs carried underneath can be either green or yellow, makes no difference. Not sure why some are green and some produce yellow eggs.

Mating is pretty obvious. You will see males swimming around continuously looking for the source of the pheromones.

Once the eggs have been fertilised and moved to the swimerettes the female will fan them continuously for up to 4 weeks. The baby shrimp will hatch one after another over a day or two as tiny white, clear little miniatures of the adult. You will see them stuck to the glass or plants, any fish will eat them. If the female is carrying eggs and starts to get another saddle the babies are close to hatching.

Hope this is helpful.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Yes this is normal behavior..