Royal whiptails (sturisoma sp. cf. Festivum)

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
my whip tails have just laid eggs in the tank....they are in there with 2 guppys (not fully grown) and 12 neon tetra's and 6 L333's (babys only 4cm's long) will they be safe in there to hatch and do everything eL-Natural?
tank is 3.5x2x2.5 so fairly large for the fish in there
i couldn't tell you how safe they are, depends on how well the males guards them i guess, but if left alone, i dare say the guppies and tetra's would have a go at them

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
Ok so I'm going to put them
In a fry saver, can I do it while there still in the egg on day 7 or not untill there wrigglers? And do I put an air stone in the saver? Cheers for your help

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I would say yes to both those questions, Airstones are a big necessity with fry...although about moving them, personally, I would wait till they hatched...
Thats one of the best breeding logs I've read, Great photos and a great bit of breeding info...Thanks..

Last edited:

Hypanheaven

Sep 25, 2010
Perth, WA
I've spoken to a buddy of mine who's a master breeder and he said no to the airstone, they don't get deprived of oxygen easily like some L numbers and it can carry away the food from them since there so lazy at that age!

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I've spoken to a buddy of mine who's a master breeder and he said no to the airstone, they don't get deprived of oxygen easily like some L numbers and it can carry away the food from them since there so lazy at that age!
This I agree with my sad failed breedings of this fish are down to the lazy gits not wanting to move to find food
Spot on log maty and one of the best so far

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I am trying to breed Lamontichthys Sp at the moment and so far have had one egg laying but for some reason the eggs were either eaten or disappeared in a few hours.
The male performed just like these have except he chose an upright lump of bogwood and spent days cleaning it

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
nice John, would be interesting to see how the unusual one grows up, any chance that it could be an albino?

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
it was in a tank full of 066's so it didnt stand too much of a chance....
although i did have a real good look at it and it had black eyes.... more of a calico b/n colour than the standard black fry....
i have a few of these popping up from time to time... but when your bulk breeding you cant designate too much time to one fry.... if it survives on its own then i'll do something with it later on....

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Jamous, Farlowella are twig catfish, Sturisoma (like the one on this thread) are classed as whiptails. And sturisoma cf festivum are royal whiptails

J

jamous91

Jamous, Farlowella are twig catfish, Sturisoma (like the one on this thread) are classed as whiptails. And sturisoma cf festivum are royal whiptails
thank you for correcting me:thumbup: