Assassin Snails

graham26

Jul 15, 2009
Berkshire
I have a 300 litre tank full of mts there must be 100's in there i think assassin snails may be the answer rather than medication as would be a strain on filter if i wiped a load out together & then be rotting in tank

pleco

Jan 6, 2010
barnsley
Assassin Snails - Just a little advise don't keep them with shrimps another shrimp breeder and I have both witnessed these evil little critters attacking shrimps whilst they are eating.
Ive seen it the other way round the shrimps attacking the snails thats why i got rid of my shrimps they ate anything and everything.

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
I have a tank which holds 7 x L134 and 12 x Sterbai Corydoras recently ive been seeing quite a few snals around 8mm and under, just done a big clean out and tank rearangement and there were loads of snails in the tank on the slate/wood/filter etc im thinking of getting a assasin snail to help combat the snail problem, but would the assasin snails eat fish eggs at all? And would 1 snail be alright to do a 37x18x18 tank? Id have more but i dont want them to get out of hand also. Sorry im hyjacking the thread but it was on Assasin Snails :)

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
Ah right so going off what i can see in my tank it will be wanting a family of assain snails to do the job, main thing is that the plecos and corys can breed as normal

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I've got assassins in with breeding plecs no problems :yes:

If you have a lot of pest snails then 1 is going to take forever to deal with it, better to get a group of them and then once its under control you can sell a few off to cut the group down :)

It took a group of 9 a few months to clear one of my tanks, I have 8 running and slowlys split up the assassins between them as they cleared each tank just to keep them ticking over. They have been breeding but nothing like the pest snails do and you can always sell the surplus :)

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
Thanks Joby ill go look at buying some this lunchtime im sure the fish shop near my work has them for sale, unless anyone on here wants to sell any?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
i have an assassin in my new tank.its only about 3/4 " long.and its doin a good job with all
the little pest snails.
will it be ok if i add an apple snail that is nearly 2 times the assassin size?
i know they eat the little snails but will it have a go at a much bigger one.

coca-cola

May 18, 2010
bright water, sunshine coast QLD
hi everyone i think i need about 10 assassins at least, i have hundreds of pest snails just come out of no where, if anybody knows where i can get some assassins in australia i would be happy, or another solution please

Harpfish

Sep 10, 2012
Sydney
Assassin snails in Australia

Hi guys,

If anyone can help me find assassin snails in Australia I'll be really happy!

Cheers.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
hello all,

to the best of my knowledge, there are no assisin snails in Australia. Also a mass ampunt of snails is a definate sign of overfeeding. So feed less and you will then get more snails. It is correct that the loach will decimate a snail population, but it will also eat egss etc. I would thus suggest feed less, clean more and use your hands to get rid of 10-20 snails a day and slowly they will reduce in numbers.

sorry cheers jk :thumbup: