Mooo's Shrimp

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
AusPleco ..Ty & Sorry to hear of your losses. :cry:

foti.. Thanks for the compliment, I haven't any for sale atm, I am building up my colony again..:yes:

rickyjjuk

Jun 3, 2009
Suffolk
Very nice :) can you get problems if you get to many as I keep them with my plecs and there is starting to be quite a few lol

Regards

Ricky

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Was just asking because you have a great gene pool going with that awesome coloring. Have you had many blues come up from the genes you have in the tank ?

the only problem about having too many cherry shrimp is if it a tually reached the number where it would cause your filter to crash biologically. Other then that they help your bank account when you have enough to sell :)

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Thanks for your compliment AusPleco. :D
Blues ones! :drool: OMG If I had made a blue one, Everyone would know about it lol. :fr:
I have had the dreaded tank crash from too many shrimp, Just the once, trouble is you never know where the point of no return is, I lost most of mine at one stage a while back, am just getting the numbers back up now..,
With the surviving brightest coloured ones, I selected the females out and put them into another tank with only a few males, That tank is my 333 tank, now the 333's are adults, I found the shrimp numbers declining only a few weeks back, so I collected the shrimp out and added them back to the tank the original tank..my 397 tank..
I don't care what the males look like, I haven't seen good solid colour one in them yet..
I will have to be diligent this time, and sell some off, before they overpopulate, They actually poop quite a lot for such a small creature, and with many of em, You can get into trouble if you're not paying attention..

Ricky, time to sell some mate...:D or add some to another tank..

Footnote: My shrimp are Brenda's quality stock, I just bred the brightest up..gotta have good stock to begin with :D

Last edited:

rickyjjuk

Jun 3, 2009
Suffolk
I have put some up for sale but reckon i must be up to 500-600 now if not a lot more !!!!!! How many could you have in a 2ft or 3ft tank before trouble arised do you think ???

Regards

Ricky

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I think if you would be fine with those numbers in a 2ft but as moo said it depends on the filtration. As for a 3 foot i think you would be able to safley keep over 1000 if you have a shrimp only tank and have it planted. Run a canister filter and put either a carbon net, stocking or piece of sponge over the inlet.

phear

Mar 13, 2012
adelaide
awesome looking shrimp moo..

just got my first lot on saturday. crs cbs and cherrys.

i cant belive ive had 2 molt already lol i hope they are starting to get jiggy in there as i only have 20cherrys 6 crs and 2 cbs i hardly see them so im going to buy more soon and hopefully when they breed ill start seeing them more hehe

how long did you have yours for when they started breeding mainly the crs?

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
CRS will breed when the conditions are right and they settle in. Be careful if you have cherries in the same tank as you may find as your cherry population blooms they may eat your CRS and CBS shrimplets.

best shrimp experience i ever had was turning the light on just in time to watch a shrimp molt

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
They will take only a month or two before they begin to hold berries, maybe sooner, keep an eye out..

I had one of my cherry's out in the pond with the yabbies lol Considering the cold temps we are having, I brought her in a week ago, she was your normal size when she went in and was only in there for a few months , but whoa!! did she grow while she was in there, she is a mega shrimp, She is at least an inch long..if not more..I love her, and the deepest red..she is now my main breeder, i have some very deep males in there with her, so fingers crossed I get some awesome bright babies..

:clap: Can't wait to see what she produces.:woohoo:

Last edited:

phear

Mar 13, 2012
adelaide
thanks for the reply even tho i only just came back online lol ive got about 20 berried crs/cbs and can see at least 4 or 5 tiny shrimplets in the tank so im guessing there is more hiding too :) very happy if they keep going like this ill get some ss soon and get them going too :)

that cherry is pretty big too hehe