The house of gee is almost complete

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
put batons on the wall and then poly infront. Thats what I did but I still have issue,s. My 60 watt dehumidifier is on the way:D. I presume not having lids on some of the tanks doesnt help either?

Cheers

thegeeman

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
You can stick (dab) insulated plasterboard to an outside wall, if you don't want to lose any space in a room, and want to improve insulation, say in a cold utility room, that only has a single skin wall.
In such a case the wall must already be free from dampness.

But we are talking about a room that will have high moisture content because of all the tanks of water.
A single skin brick wall, even if it it is sealed properly and has no signs of dampness, will be the coolest surface in the room, especially in the winter, and the moisture in the room will condense on the walls because of this, and quite quickly your walls will start to stain and mould will form.

A cavity wall is designed to stop this, a quick example is a double skinned brick cavity wall.
You have two layers of brick with a cavity inbetween, cavity approximately 50mm (but can be different), and the cavity is usually ventilated.
The outer skin will be cold, especially in the winter, while the inner skin will be warm from the heating in the room, and any dampness that comes through the outside skin will condense in the cavity and run down the cavity and drain away.

A more common method these days with new houses is a timber kit house, where the outside skin is brick, and the inside skin is timber framing, with a cavity inbetween, and the inside of the house dry lined.
The cavity construction is not important, but works the same as the old double skinned brick cavity walls.

A more simplified method of forming a cavity, is a 2" by 2" stud wall built 50mm from the face of a brick wall, and the stud wall then dry lined.
Edit, the cavity gap dosn't need to be 50mm when building a partition wall like this, it can be as small as 1/2" gap, as long as there is a gap between the two walls and the partition dosn't touch the external wall.
Also any packing in the middle of the wall to strengthen the partition, should have some D.P.C. behind it to stop any dampness from the external wall crossing to the partition.
The gap between the two walls acts like a cavity, where the inside wall is warm and the outside wall is cold, and the moisture in the air will not condense so quickly on the walls.
An extractor fan will help with moisture in the air.
A fish room is much like a bathroom in constant use, well maybe not as extreme.

I went the penny pinching way when building my hut and have regretted it since.
I used 4" by 2" studding, timber cladding on the outside, 2" kingspan fitted tight to the inside walls, hopefully forming some sort of cavity, but i was dreaming, though the costs were running up.
My hut walls are basically one skin and in the winter my walls are the coolest place in the room, so the water condenses on the walls easily.

I invested in a decent sized dehumidifer with a constant drain, which helps a lot.

H.T.H.

Last edited:

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Gee
I will need to check what model i have in the hut tomorrow.

These are around the same price i paid a couple of years ago for the one i have, but they don't look the same; Amazon Series Dehumidifers

The 2000 Series looks more like the one i have, but are dearer again; 2000 Series Dehumidifiers

I searched for dehumider reviews and Ebac came up a lot as one of the better ones then, so i went with them, and am happy so far.

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Gee
I went for that dehumidifer because i was really peeved with the condensation i was getting in the hut, and i wasn't sure what size to get, so opted for a good rated one.

If you know the size of the one you need, and see a model that suits, go for it, as long as it dos the job.

When i was designing my hut, i remember reading a lot, that an extractor would fan deal with most condensation, how wrong that has turned out for me :wb:

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Gee
I am not sure either, i can only say try it and see how it goes.
The only drawback i can think of with a smaller unit is how long it will take to fill, as long as it can last a day before filling, letting you empty it each day.

Maybe finding a small unit and that has a constant drain is the way to go.
A constant drain, is just really a piece of hose fitted to the unit, mine has a bit to slip the hose onto.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Thanks for the link. I was looking at them but thought they might be abit over the top. 18 litres a day is a lot of water:dk:
18ltrs evaporation isn't as much as you'd think, if your tanks are uncovered, with enough tanks obviously, you could fill that quite quickly.
I have 2 small tanks running in one room, we dont have the heating on in there so its not as warm as the rest of the house, but not really cold either, and i'm topping up the equivalent of 20+ltrs a week on just these 2, my advice, get some condesate trays for the tanks too, will help heaps